Friday, April 7, 2017

Friday Favorites: Round 7!

Hello lovelies!

Once again, not much of an update! Which like I said on Tuesday...I take that as a great thing! At the beginning of this week, I still wasn't feeling 100% better after the setback last week, but I had my infusion on Wednesday and that leads me to my first favorite of the week!


Remicade

So Remicade is one of my two Crohn's medications. I receive it every six weeks through an IV (right now it is through my power picc). I'm never too thrilled that I have to sit for three hours to receive the medication when I could be doing so many other things, but my attitude changes as soon as I receive it. This medication is basically on a timer. You have to get it every six to eight weeks (in my case 6). My body (as well as Evan's because he has the same meds) knows when it is time to have the medication. It's strange how your body knows this schedule. This time, I had to get it after five weeks because of my surgery. This is an extreme immunosuppressant, and you cannot have a procedure within two weeks of the infusion. So I either had to do it two weeks before or two weeks after surgery. We picked before because it would have been nine weeks between infusions if I had waited. Well trust me when I say I'm glad I did it this week. My body has been through a lot in the past few weeks. Between shingles and the hospital, my body was already craving that medicine. I was halfway through the bag, and I already felt SO MUCH BETTER. Modern medicine. What a wonderful thing.


My Grandma

Last Sunday my grandmother came to town to "keep me entertained" as she said. She knew I needed some company down in Florida, so she flew down for the week and we did a whole lot of not much, which is exactly what I needed. We watched musicals (she's the one who introduced me to those) like An American in Paris, Mame, and Shrek the Musical. All good but I'd say my favorite of the three was Mame. Good ol Lucille Ball. You can never go wrong. We played about 5 million games of Gin. For those of you that don't play cards, Gin is scored to 100 and then you win. Well I won 5 times and she won once. So let the record show that I beat the master. And as I said, the student finally dethroned the master. We played Phase 10, Bananagrams, and Yahtzee. We sat on my patio and read. Like I said, we did a whole lot of nothing, but it was wonderful!


My Spaghetti Recipe

So some have asked so here it is. I have altered this recipe sooo many times, but this is my favorite version. I use a lot of premade ingredients because I never have a ton of time to fix it (especially when I am in school) so instead of making it from scratch, I mix a little of both.
1. Brown a pound of ground beef.
2. Mix in a jar of Prego Traditional tomato sauce.
3. Mix in about 30 pepperonis, cut into tiny pieces.
4. Let simmer for about 5 minutes.
5. Add Italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar. The amount of each depends on your liking. I never really measure it out.
6. Let simmer for another 5 minutes.
7. Add shredded parmesan.
8. Stir together and serve on top of noodles or use in lasagna (which is one of my faves).

People love this spaghetti. It's great, and it's really good the second day or even frozen. I started using pepperoni in my sauce when I was in 8th grade, after taking Home Arts with Mrs. Winslow. People still love it and never expect it.


MY MOM IS COMING TOMORROW!!

I haven't seen her since January. Needless to say, it's time to see her. I CAN'T WAIT!


Next week I have my pre-anesthesia appointment, so Thursday my mom and I will be going to Gainesville for the day. The next two weeks are mainly for preparing for my surgery because it is SO CLOSE!

Weekly Tally:
Days on TPN and lipids- 60
Days with no food- 65

Countdown to Surgery:
17 DAYS!!!

See you guys next Friday!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

XOXO,
Kayleigh

1 comment:

  1. So glad you have had great visit with your mom I know she was so happy to be with you๐Ÿ˜ It sounds like you are ready to get the surgery over and go back to your life and I pray everything good better than anyone could hope for you will be in my prayers as always๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™…

    ReplyDelete